• Advertisement

Putting up Peanut butter & seeds & Patriot Supply Coffee

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Putting up Peanut butter & seeds & Patriot Supply Coffee

Postby Gunns » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:58 am

I haven't done a lot of prepping for the last several months. Mostly because of what we spent on sheds and power protection this year.

We were at Sam's and they had some powered peanut butter on sale. I am going to open these jars up and split the powder into four per jar, put them in the new mylar bags I bought that are supposed to work in the food saver (they have ridges), put in O2 absorber and vacuum seal them. Has anyone put this powder up?

I also got some more seeds and I am going to add these to my seed vault.

I got the seeds and some freeze dried coffee from Patriot Supply. I tried the coffee. Just what you would expect from freeze dried. Not to bad really and will make an excellent addition to the preps. I guess I will order up more since I only got one packet. It came in Mylar with an O2 absorber in it. The mylar bag is resealable after you use it which is nice.

More to come on Patriot Supply's freeze dried food. I got their 72 hour food pack. It too ships in a big resealable Mylar bag. Need to test this food. Most prepared food like this gets me sick to my stomach and I don't get sick normally.
Attachments
PB-Seeds.JPG
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Re: Putting up Peanut butter & seeds & Patriot Supply Coffee

Postby AuntBee » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:08 am

If you try the peanut butter, please post your opinion. I have peanut butter powder that I didn't like much. Thanks for the coffee review, too. Even bad coffee is better than no coffee.

AuntBee
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby Mollypup » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:12 pm

Probably a stupid question........

But does coffee actually "go bad" if you were just to seal normal coffee in mylar? I've stored coffee in normal containers (store) for very long stretches of time due to buying them super cheap and stocking up...can't say I've ever dealt with bad coffee even stored that way. Which is the reason I've never even considered storing it in mylar or anything. It sits on the shelf in it's cans.

Peanut butter it turns out I'm picky about. Funny since 99 percent of other things I'm not. (hot dogs is another) I can go generic on pretty much everything or switch brands. I can't do this with peanut butter. Only generic I can manage is krogers......simply because it's made by the same company that makes the brand I prefer & the taste is exactly the same. I could see running into issues with peanut butter powder for this reason. Plus, peanut butter has a decent amount of oil in it that makes a huge difference with flavor.....if it's powder where is the oil??

I'd like to know what you think about it too.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:29 pm

Mollypup wrote:Probably a stupid question........

But does coffee actually "go bad" if you were just to seal normal coffee in mylar? I've stored coffee in normal containers (store) for very long stretches of time due to buying them super cheap and stocking up...can't say I've ever dealt with bad coffee even stored that way. Which is the reason I've never even considered storing it in mylar or anything. It sits on the shelf in it's cans.

Peanut butter it turns out I'm picky about. Funny since 99 percent of other things I'm not. (hot dogs is another) I can go generic on pretty much everything or switch brands. I can't do this with peanut butter. Only generic I can manage is krogers......simply because it's made by the same company that makes the brand I prefer & the taste is exactly the same. I could see running into issues with peanut butter powder for this reason. Plus, peanut butter has a decent amount of oil in it that makes a huge difference with flavor.....if it's powder where is the oil??

I'd like to know what you think about it too.

I will update you all tomorrow after I use it on my new loaf a bread I just took out of the oven. I have to test it. But I thought it better to have then have not.

I prefer Jiffy Creamy style.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby oldasrocks » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:54 pm

I have coffee 20 yrs old still in the factory can and it tastes good.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby divers351 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:02 pm

The Patriot coffee tastes really good.
divers351

Postby FussyOldHen » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:52 pm

A friend who lives in the Deep South sent me some info on the life of coffee maybe a year ago, but I deleted it because I don't drink it. She had run into moldy ground coffee in her tremendously hot, humid climate. :shock:

From what I remember: it doesn't 'spoil' to make you sick unless mold is involved, but age can affect the taste. Where that line is drawn seems to be determined by the desperation of the individual drinker. And it said that storing in glass is better than in plastic (no surprise). Also, that the whole beans don't last much longer than ground coffee (I don't recall if she specified green or roasted), and it will even lose some of its taste in the freezer. But I was surprised to learn that INSTANT coffee lasts the longest of all. Who would have thought? Maybe it's the processing.

But I DO know that tea gets old. I haven't experimented with the new Lipton mylar packs [I need to do that], but the tea in the previous Lipton paper/cardboard packaging, left in the cellophane-wrapped box, would gag a goat after a certain period of time.

And if anyone wants my lifetime share of powdered peanut butter (*gag*), IT'S YOURS!
FussyOldHen

Postby donba » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:33 pm

We take our Lipton tea bags out of the boxes, 100+ in a box bought 3 at a time and vacuum seal in 1/2 gallon jars. they seem to stay fresh as long as they last. I drink a lot of sweet sun tea on warm days. We drink instant coffee all the time and rotate our jars, keeping about ten on hand. seams to hold up OK. am really interested in the PB, so let us know…….
donba

Postby OC357 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:43 pm

^^^yes, instant coffee will keep a long time sealed in the glass jars it comes in. I have a couple of small factory sealed glass jars. (never bought it in plastic jars) I drink fresh brewed coffee but keep some instant around.

I only buy the 100% peanut butter in glass jars and they keep well. (mostly Smuckers)

This is my experience.

I would like to know how the powdered peanut butter tastes when someone tries it.

OC
I got nothing. I am just here for the ride.
OC357

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:42 pm

I think we discussed peanut butter powder on another thread not too long ago. I have it in my preps but we never tried it. The one tip I remember is that it taste better with a little oil mixed in. I would think a little coconut oil would improve the taste and texture.

Mrs. FP
SC District 5

When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby ajax727 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:08 pm

A little off topic , with the wet weather the peanut crop this year might suffer . With the wet weather the nuts will drop from the peg and when they are plowed up the nuts will remain on the ground and not stay connected with the bush .
A lot of the peanut butter comes from the same plant that roast them and grinds them the only difference is what is added in the process and the label on the jar . Around here they ship around 40,000 pounds of butter everyday to somewhere .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby LetsPrep11 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:11 pm

Just happened to spot several kinds of powdered peanut butter in Walmart today. Surprised the heck out of me! One variety was in a plastic jar, the other in a Mylar pouch. Each had a plain and a chocolate. I didn't buy it as I've got a couple of cans of Honeyville powdered peanut butter that haven't been opened yet. Next time I go to Walmart I'll buy some and give it a try. I'll add a little oil and some honey and let everyone know if it's palatable.

I still think it would be great sprinkled on vanilla ice cream.
LetsPrep11

Postby daaswampman » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:07 pm

Powered peanut butter is good in cooking, not so much just reconstituted. Tastes good just dry as hell!

Dollar General still sells their store brand instant coffee for a buck a jar. It is Pampa from Mexico. Glass jar with a red plastic cap. . It is actually decent for instant coffee and comes 2.83 ounces in a glass jar! For a buck may be a good barter\charity item. What else can you buy for a buck that makes about 20 cups of coffee by my measurements, jar says 32. Nobody complains if it is all the coffee there is.. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Dirk Williams » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:04 am

I think I really screwed up. We have a hundred plus pounds of coffee beans in our freezers. Most are at least a couple years old, some older, " 3 pound bags, sealed" . The beans look fresh as the day purchased, however their isn't a coffee smell coming from any of the bags. We switched over to a Keric coffee makes, so quit rotating thru the fresh ground coffee.

Think it would be wise to hedge my coffee storage habit by purchasing a couple cases of canned coffees, and perhaps some instant .

Peanut butter. Does the powdered kind keep the calories, like the regular jars. We purposely buy skippy or Jiff, or other cheaper peanut utter specifically for the calorie count. Currently eating out of a four year old jar, and haven noted any odd smells, or tastes.

Peanut butter offers so much to a preppers supply chain. We like to keep 10/20 big jars on the shelf. Takes about two months for us to eat one large jar of peanut butter, my grand boys, eat it like theirs no tomorrow. Pjs are a way of life around here.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby IceFire » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:30 pm

Coffee tends to lose flavor/aroma once the beans are roasted. It has to do with the oils degrading once the coffee is roasted. I know some coffee roasters here who will NOT sell any coffee (beans or ground) that was roasted more than a week previously. After that, they use it for compost. For long-term storage, store GREEN (unroasted) coffee beans.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion