• Advertisement

Tomato plant wilt and discoloration

Post general Kansas related topics here

Moderators: Lionheart1972, Elona

Tomato plant wilt and discoloration

Postby primer » Fri May 26, 2017 10:31 pm

I have a problem I could sure use some help with, I started tomatoes from seed and was doing pretty good till they have gotten to about 8" tall they started to get brown splotches and they look wilty I started them in miracle grow potting soil and have taken care not to over water them I am getting pretty irritated trying to figure out what I am doing wrong, this is important that I learn how to raise these things any suggestions will be much appreciated.
primer

Re: Tomato plant wilt and discoloration

Postby Gunns » Tue May 30, 2017 11:29 am

Research research research. I did extensive research on gardening and I am Still learning. Its never ending.

Sounds like you got a fungus of some kind. Unhealthy plants weaken fast and if you grew in nothing but soil and Miracle grow you will always fail. I did.

So my story could be long and boring so I will try to make it short. I tried all garden methods except Back to Eden. I did not want to rely on wood chips in SHTF. I also did Square foot, vertical you name it. Some did ok but most failed.

My advice is to go to http://growfood.com/ and buy the Mittleider books. Read them, then read them again, then read them again. I am using this method exclusively and having more success's than failures. I got veggies coming out my ears and they taste great. Now some on here will say what are you going to do for fertilizer during SHTF. I store 10 years of what I need and the investment is a butt load less than organic. Plus organic does not provide all 13 essential elements for growing.

Plus there are two Mittleider groups on Facebook and they are quick to respond and help.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Tue May 30, 2017 11:52 am

Truth in pictures. I grew all these using Mittleider. I am eating fresh veggies every day now.
Attachments
t2.JPG
Tomatoes Bigbeef
t.JPG
Tomatoes Big Boy
o2.JPG
Candy Onions from seed
o1.JPG
Green Onion from seed - too many to eat ah
b.JPG
Blue Lake green beans
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby JayJay » Wed May 31, 2017 11:00 am

Short answer...Verticillium Wilt.
I have had it since 2013 and finally found a way to have tomatoes.
I (1)destroyed my lumber that was contaminated, (2)used concrete blocks now, and (3)destroyed old soil, (4)spray new soil with Actinovate because everything that fungus touched is contaminated.
I even have two spots around the back yard next to the raised bed that have to have resistant plants, like holly ($3 from walmart), as I have killed a new butterfly bush, and almost killed a transplanted ornamental peach before I recognized the contamination in those spots, but saved it and it's growing in a new spot.
If you have questions, private message me. You didn't do anything wrong..the seed could have been contaminated or the soil or who knows??
Mine happened from the tomato plant bought from a grower here, as my two neighbors got the wilt and we all used that grower.

My new rule?? I keep bought plants on the porch for two weeks before putting them in my new soil, new raised bed.
My experience???????? No one will understand what you describe until they have it; don't even bother.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby Gunns » Wed May 31, 2017 12:11 pm

JayJay wrote:My experience???????? No one will understand what you describe until they have it; don't even bother.

Those two sites on Facebook I told him about would have gave him his answer quickly.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby sageprice » Wed May 31, 2017 2:03 pm

sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby JayJay » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:19 pm

Gunns wrote:
JayJay wrote:My experience???????? No one will understand what you describe until they have it; don't even bother.

Those two sites on Facebook I told him about would have gave him his answer quickly.

Am I the only American not using social networks? :(
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:43 pm

JayJay wrote:
Gunns wrote:

Am I the only American not using social networks? :(

No you aren't. My wife won't let me tweet, twerp, twit or use facebook. Probably a good thing.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Return to Kansas Discussion, News and Weather