• Advertisement

Possible teotwawki

Post General Oklahoma Topics Here

Moderators: kr105, Eaglehrt

Possible teotwawki

Postby HVACR » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:11 am

The following information is probably not new to anyone here. This was new to me however. Yes, I do live under a rock. It's my rock.

Me and my wife with to a prepper show in OKC this weekend. There was a guy there named "Bob Gaskin". He was talking about a polar shift and the world was going to stop turning for 3 days and the oceans would flood the planet( or at least the coasts for 300 miles inland). The the planet would start turning the other way. He said this would happen within the next 18 months. I did take a physics class in high school. The amount of energy it would take to stop the earth from spinning would be unreal. However I do think there is someone out there that could put a number on that. I don't see how my preps at this point do me much good in light of that scenario. I do plan to accelerate my prepping for the short term.

Y2K- negative result
2012- negative result

I have already been marked by my family as a nut job. I start talking about prepping anything and they start looking up places I can get help. Just don't talk to them anymore about prepping. They also said "We know were to go in event of ?"

That is another point. Mr. Gaskin said he plans to help and and feed as many persons as possible. The amount of food needed just goes off charts. I did look up some information on pinto beans. It would take about 20 pounds to feed 100 people one meal. I just don't have enough space for that much food. When you run out of food they will call you a liar, kill you,then figure out that it was the truth and move on. Guess at that point it doesn't matter your dead.

This presentation didn't bother me a little. However this is not the first time some has been wearing the sign "THE END IS COMING". Nor will it be the last.

Feedback, thoughts, ect?

Thanks for reading. Have a Great day.

HVACR.
HVACR
Oklahoma Preppers Network
Oklahoma Preppers Network

Re: Possible teotwawki

Postby apache235 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:30 am

How's your salt supply? I'd certainly take what was said with a sack of it :)
apache235

Postby NJMike » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:47 am

The last time that Earth's poles flipped in a major reversal was about 780,000 years ago, in what scientists call the Brunhes-Matuyama reversal. The fossil record shows no drastic changes in plant or animal life. Deep ocean sediment cores from this period also indicate no changes in glacial activity, based on the amount of oxygen isotopes in the cores. This is also proof that a polarity reversal would not affect the rotation axis of Earth, as the planet's rotation axis tilt has a significant effect on climate and glaciation and any change would be evident in the glacial record.

Source:
https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/featu ... ersal.html

Could NASA and other scientists be wrong or lying to us? It's more plausible they are correct, than it being a conspiracy. And if the poles could shift with disastrous global effect, then I don't think prepping is going to help as it would then be TEOTW, period. So I don't worry much about this scenario.

More likely TEOTWAWKI scenarios in my mind are an Economic meltdown, EMP Dark Age, Nuclear War, Pandemic, and Global Famine. These can be survivable if one starts out in a survivable location, can adapt, has a bit of luck or can make their own.

Points on having food and being prepared are valid and should always apply.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Fullmoon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:17 am

I know I'm an old timer but I wasn't around way back then to verify any rotation reversals or polar shifts. If the earth stops spinning your goose is cooked and all the preps you have made will not save you. :eek: There are a few pieces of evidence that suggest our planet suffered from an outer crust rotation, like the remains of several mastodon which were found in Siberia, flash frozen , with tropical plants in their mouths. This suggests they were living in the tropics when the outer 60 mile crust of the earth rotated and moved the warm tropic area to Siberia. That's the theory. Could be true, I'm not a scientist and don't know if its possible.
Fullmoon

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:18 pm

didn't think any of the PS survival preppers were still around - they kind of died out 8-10 years ago - Gaskin sounds familiar ....

the PS contribution to prepping is a decent compiled database of info - that a few preppers rescued when the actual website went dark - it lives on today .... http://www.ps-survival.com/PS/index.htm

ELE - stand for extinction level event - there's things that you don't live thru and most likely humanity ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby IceFire » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:24 pm

HVACR wrote:.. I did look up some information on pinto beans. It would take about 20 pounds to feed 100 people one meal. I just don't have enough space for that much food. HVACR.

20 lbs of pinto beans doesn't take up that much space at all. A 50 lb bag of rice or a 50 lb bag of dried beans takes up about the same amount of room as a bag of dog food. Rice and beans combined make up a complete protein. Might get boring after awhile, (especially without plenty of spices/seasonings) but at least it would fill your belly for a few months.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby angie_nrs » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:30 pm

Well, I don't worry about the Earth stopping it's spin. Even if the poles did shift, the Earth would go on spinning. I don't prepare for situations like that since if it does happen.....it happens and I don't know what the results would be.

I prepare for things that are likely to happen like unemployment, economic downturn, inflation, fire, health issues/injury, etc. Those things have a high probability of occurring. So, if you tell your family that's what you are preparing for, why would they think you're nuts? I read an article a while back that stated something like 1 out of every 4 people who have disability insurance actually have to use it. So the likelihood of having an injury that prevents you from working is pretty high. Even if it's only short term (like a broken arm), wouldn't it be nice knowing you have some supplies on hand to get you through the hard times should they occur? Plus the more you stock up now, while things are on sale, the more money you can save down the road. That's just smart.

You said that they say "if something happens, we know where to go". Does that mean your house?? :eek: If so, isn't that convenient for them??.....they make fun of you when things are fine, but if something may go south, they're depending on you? First off, for anyone new that's trying to get their affairs in order....do NOT tell anyone! That's attention you don't want! I would tell them right now that either you've decided to give up on this whole prepping thing (lie) OR let them know right now that they won't be welcome at your place b/c you haven't stocked anything for them. If they want stock, then they better get it themselves!
angie_nrs

Postby arkieready » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:01 am

If/when a polar shift occurs, it's a magnetic event. The magnetic north is not tied to a stake driven in the geological North Pole. Magnetic north moves. It's is continually, infinitesimally, drifting. Only our artificial, modern, technologically "advanced" life could detect it. If/when it does, things should change--but not cataclysmic wipe out nations in a heartbeat change.
Polar shift, global warming, rising seas, weather patterns,blah blah blah.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:03 am

IMG_0113.PNG
IMG_0113.PNG (243.72 KiB) Viewed 280 times
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready

Return to Oklahoma Discussion, News and Weather